To create the installer you need the WiX-Toolset and you can use Visual Studio or WixPie to make the build. Here I will explane how to use Visual Studio to Build the installer.
First of all you need to install some software:
- Install visual studio community edition or Professional (any version with plugin support will work). Votive the Visual-Studio integration plugin for the WiX-Toolset will not work in the express version. https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/
- Install the WiX-Toolset For this tutorial you can use the last stable version. http://wixtoolset.org/releases/
Create a installer project:
- Open Visual Studio
- Go to the menu File -> New -> Project
- Select Windows Installer XML
- Select Setup Project
- You can change the name of the installer project in something other than 'SetupProject1' but for now we will stick with it.
- Now you can build the project but it will give some error like:
The Product/@Manufacturer attribute's value cannot be an empty string. If a value is not required, simply remove the entire attribute.
Except for the error we have a working environment to create installers, now you are ready to change the Product.wxs file to include things like Directories, Files, Features and the rest.